That feeling of intense boredom and overwhelming malaise...otherwise known as a rut. A place where the activities you once loved and enjoyed, now seem dull, foggy and full of 'blah'.
The key to getting out of a rut is to break through old patterns and the comfortable, everyday routine you have built up for yourself.
Here's 25 activities designed to get out of a rut and do a reverse belly flop into a pool of inspiration:
- Go on a photo safari.
- Leave an encouraging note in a library book.
- Catalog your dreams.
- Keep a notebook of inspirational sayings.
- Listen to a different radio station for the afternoon.
- Take a vow of silence for a day; take note of what you hear.
- Go somewhere you’ve never been.
- Create a beautiful dinner.
- Sing in the car, with the windows down.
- Draw a photo.
- Re-read a book you loved as a child.
- Take a different route home from work/school. Take note of the differences.
- Go to a paint store; write a poem or short story incorporating the names of paint.
- Write directions from home to work, using only landmarks, not streets.
- Make a Pinterest board around a single color theme.
- Draw a picture of your favorite item of clothing.
- Take a photo a day of the letters of the alphabet, using only signage.
- Do the same thing as #24, only with numbers 0 - 20.
- Write down the most sarcastic insults you’ve ever heard.
- Think of responses to the insults of #19.
- Find a secluded spot to watch the sunset.
- Imagine what the view from #21 was like 100 years ago.
- How will it be 100 years from now?
- Write to your future great-grandchildren; tell them about your life and times.
- Write down the lyrics to songs you dislike. Rearrange them to make a poem or micro-story.